Do you know if your child’s car seat is safe? Find out at a free car seat checkup event! The checkup will be held on May 14, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the St. Leonard Volunteer Fire Department on Calvert Beach Road.
At the checkup event, you will learn if the car seat is the correct one for your child and if it is installed properly in the vehicle. You will also learn how to harness your child into the seat correctly. Car seat technicians will review any recalls associated with the car seat, the history of the seat and the crash history of the car to ensure safety.
To prepare for the checkup you must first make an appointment by contacting Shirley Ireland or Jess Jones at the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office. They can be reached by calling: 410-535-2800.
• Arrive with the car seat(s) already installed in the vehicle, to the best of your ability, or read
through the manual of a new car seat.
• Bring both the vehicle and safety seat owner’s manuals with you.
• Be prepared to ask questions and be involved in the seat checking process.
• Bring an additional adult to supervise the child(ren), if present for the event, while you work
with seat technicians.
• Expect each inspection to take approximately 45 minutes.
This event is a partnership of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office and the St. Leonard Volunteer Fire Department. Similar car safety seat checkups are held regularly throughout Maryland. To learn more about this event or to find one near you, call Maryland Kids in Safety Seats (KISS) at 800-370-SEAT, or visit www.mdkiss.org.
Stay connected by following MarylandDHMH on Twitter or ‘liking’ Maryland DHMH on Facebook.